The only official CFO Designation
Become a CFO(SA)
CFO (SA) is recognised by IAFEI, the global body for finance executives. This means should you choose to work abroad, your designation and your competencies are instantly recognised by your peers.
IAFEI currently has 22 Member Institutes in the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, with a total membership of over 20,000 financial executives. As a CFO (SA) you gain access to all IAFEI resources.
CFO (SA) is authorized by SAQA in terms of the National Qualifications Framework Act, 67 of 2008 and registered at NQF level 9. The highest level awarded to any finance or accounting designation. The Southern African Institute for Business Accountants (SAIBA) are the custodians of the designation.
As a holder of the designation you will be able to use the official designatory letters: CFO(SA) or Certified Financial Officer (SA) next to your name.
As the designation is government sanctioned employers are able to obtain objective confirmation that you have obtained 34 critical competencies required within the typical job function of a finance executive such as a Finance Director, senior Financial Manager or Chief Financial Officer.
Features and benefits
- Officially recognised certification for finance executives in South Africa.
- International accreditation.
- Aristocracy of the finance world.
- Objective confirmation of your worth.
- Advantage over non-designated peers.
- Representation in 22 countries.
- Access to CFO Talks.
- Access to the annual CFO World Congress.
- Access to the CFO Talks network of CFOs.
- Access to discounted executive education.
Pathway to the CFO(SA) designation
There are many qualification and experience routes that may lead to obtaining the job title of FD, senior FM or CFO. The CFO(SA) is awarded if the competencies underlying the job function are met.
So how do you provide proof that you have mastered the competencies?
- You have the job title FD, senior or group FM, CFO or equivalent.
- You work for a large private, public or listed company with a company or group turn-over of more than R30 million.
- You have an honours level qualification in finance, law or engineering.
- You have either of the following:
- further qualification at an MBA level, OR
- professional designation at a chartered level such as ACCA, CIMA, or CA, OR
- extensive experience/courses at senior management level to allow recognition of prior learning
- You have 8 to 10 years post-qualification experience in an executive position, evidence by way of a portfolio of evidence.
If the above applies to you then:
- Download the CFO (SA) handbook here.
- Complete the CFO (SA) application form and pay the application fee (R5500).
- Upload your Portfolio of Evidence & Experience (PoE) which will demonstrate your proficiency in the 34 critical competency areas and includes your personal information.
- Attend a CFO (SA) peer interview which will be based on your PoE
- On approval of your application pay the annual membership fee (R6 500 *payment options available ).
- Commit to 40 hours of CPD (20 hours of which must be verifiable) per annum on topics of your choice.
- Annually complete an ethics declaration and submit to SAIBA.